Monday, May 3, 2010

Scandinavians Are Descended from Stone Age Immigrants


  • Today's Scandinavians are not descended from the people who came to Scandinavia at the conclusion of the last ice age but from a population that arrived later. This is one conclusion of a new study straddling the borderline between genetics and archeology
  • The study involved using DNA from Stone Age remains that were spread by immigrants or represented innovations on the part of hunter-gatherers.
  • "Our findings show that today's Scandinavians are not the direct descendants of the hunter-gatherers who lived in the region during the Stone Age"
  • "This entails the conclusion that some of migration to Scandinavia took place, probably at the onset of the agricultural Stone Age"
Reflection: This story interested me a lot. When I was looking for an article, most of the titles seemed boring, and then I saw this one. The title made me interested so I decided to read it. I never even knew where Scandinavians came from, and the article taught me a little bit about their background. I think this story wasn't too informational, but it caught my interest. I thought that it was helpful if you ever want to know where the Scandinavians come from. I don't think that this article would probably help me much in the future because knowing where Scandinavians come from isn't very essential to every day living.

"Scandinavians Are Descended from Stone Age Immigrants."
PhysOrg.com - Science News, Technology, Physics, Nanotechnology, Space Science, Earth Science, Medicine. 24 Sept. 2009. Web. 04 May 2010. http://www.physorg.com/news173022084.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment